Can I move this Peach Tree? or Espalier it?

Schlemoc(5)June 15, 2012

Hi,

This peach tree is right on the side of the garage, but it's producing peaches. I was wondering if I could either transplant it, or try to find some way to make it part of the corner of the garage. I read some stuff on espalier fruit tree designs. Is it too mature to do something similar to that? How safe would it be to move the tree in the fall? I appreciate it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

I'd buy a new tree and cut that one out of there. It looks huge. You'd need to prune it way back and then dig it when dormant. That trees is going to have a good sized rootball. If you keep it, it needs to be chopped back hard...unless you want to pick peaches from the top of your roof :) Peaches fruit on 1 year wood, so all that old wood will not be production, so the tree will grow new wood (this years growth) to produce peaches next year...just keeps getting taller and wider...longer and longer branches.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 1:17PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

It would be difficult to move a tree that size especially that close to a building. Being close to the building will make it difficult to dig out a decent rootball. If I didn't want it there I'd plant another and after it's producing cut this one down.

It's not too big to retrain to an espalier. Cut it back severely next winter and start training.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 1:19PM
Schlemoc(5)

Thank you! I was thinking that it would be too difficult to move, but I was not certain. There is another copse of peach trees that are not producing peaches in the lower section of the yard. I was thinking of grafting other varieties on their branches to get them producing. I plan on trimming all of the trees back this fall since they have not been touched for at least 3 years.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™