Oriental Fruit Moth and Permethrin

austransplant(MD 7)June 8, 2013

Hi all,

Every year my nectarine gets hit hard by oriental fruit moth. I spray with permethrin, and yet the next day I still see lots of OFM strikes. Is permethrin effective on these pests? Perhaps the concentration is too weak? I've been using Bonide 8 spray concentrate, which is 2.5% permethrin, mixed at 4 tablespoons (2 oz) per gallon, per instructions on the label. Is this just too weak? How do you control OFM?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olpea(zone 6 KS)

I don't use permethrin, but know of a peach grower in the area that alternates permithrin (Pounce) and Imidan in his summer spray program. Claims he gets excellent results.

If you are seeing "strikes" the day after you spray, it's likely the eggs had already hatched into larva and penetrated into tissues before you sprayed, thus protected from your spray.

Once eggs are laid, it takes 5-21 days for them to hatch (depending on temps). Permethrin is supposed to kill eggs on contact, but not larva that have already tunneled in fruit or shoots.

I don't know how often you spray, but if not that often, tightening your spray interval might help.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
pls recommend
Experienced Fruit Tree Growers, I suspect that all...
thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™