stark bros

bruce2288June 12, 2012

Stark bros has 20% early order discount, so I called to ask about rootstock used. For apples, dwarf M9 or M26 semi dwarf M7 or Bud118. The semi dwarf still has me scratching my head. There is quite a bit of difference in M7 vs B118. You can not request one or the other, in fact they will not know which one you get. It will just be semi-dwarf. I was told commercial orders are filled with particular rootstock after that trees are dug and thown into a communal bin, so what you get you get. It does seem like it would be that tough to segregate trees by rootstock, but the majority of their customers must not care.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The majority of their retail customers don't know or really care whether it's one or the other. They certainly keep their different cultivars and rootstocks seperate. They just want to be able to sell you either one depending on what they have. They can't treat commercial growers that way.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 3:35PM
spartan-apple

Bruce:

I had the same issue when I called them about a cortland apple. M7 or Bud 118 were what they had them on the year I called. However, the lady I discussed this with mentioned I would have no choice on what rootstock was sent
me.

I wanted M7 not Bud 118 so I purchased elsewhere. I did buy some trees on the so called early order discount. I ordered in Fall for spring delivery. They goofed and sent me the trees in December! When I called they said to send them back. At the post office, I was charged $15 to ship back so decided to hold them in the garden until spring.
I ended up putting chicken wire around them to keep the rabbits out. A lot of extra work for me. I won't buy again unless I cannot get it elsewhere.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 11:56AM
ltilton

Won't buy from Stark anymore because of this.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Sponsored Products
Lamp Sets: 9 in. Mini Touch Lamp with Shiny Silver Metal Base and Ivory Shade (1
$59.99 | Home Depot
Hammary Structure Office Desk Chair
Beyond Stores
Sonneman | Delano Wall Sconce
$250.00 | YLighting
Cirrus Lamp
| Dot & Bo
Azzure Black and White 18-Inch Square Throw Pillow
$24.99 | Bellacor
Gnomes by Kartell
$350.00 | Lumens
Giraffe Sconce by Jonathan Adler Lighting
$203.50 | Lumens
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Altered States Skull Grey 5 ft.
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™