Growing raspberries and boysenberries together

boldcolors(Zone 5 Ut)June 17, 2013

I've spent several hours (on again and off again) on the internet over the last year trying to find an answer to this question. Can raspberries and boysenberries be grown next to each other in my yard? One person has told me that they need to be separated by 100 ft. I'd really appreciate any information or experience you might have.

Thanks, Boldcolors

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ABz5b

I have raspberries within 50 feet of my Boysenberries. They will still produce. Just make sure you have at least a few boysenberries together for pollination.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 1:05PM
jtburton

I believe the "100ft" limitation was from past concerns about disease transmission between plant varieties, especially black raspberries. There is a certain risk of that occurring, but not something I would be concerned about. Probably the main concern is with the raspberry plants being overly invasive and overtaking your boysenberries.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 1:08PM
drewbym(MO6B)

You shouldn't have any problems. I wouldn't be worried about it. As a general rule it's the black raspberries that are supposed to stay away from all the other brambles, but lots of us still grow them close by.

The main concern you'll have is simply just keeping the berries where you put them (especially the raspberries).

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 5:29PM
larry_gene

U-pick fields out here have several kinds of caneberries in the same acreage, and a row of one type is next to a row of another type, about 8 feet distant.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:08PM
boldcolors(Zone 5 Ut)

Oh!!!Thank you! Thank you! Just the info I needed! Now this info gives me some new ideas to spin around in my head.

Boldcolors

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 10:14PM
riverman1

My boysens are 5 feet from my raspberries, both thriving.

RM

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 11:48PM
NilaJones(7b)

They will each spread enormously, over the years, so you will end up with them growing all mixed together. This might be a slight hassle for pruning and stuff, but not much of one.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:35PM
veggievicki(7b)

species will cross. Genus will cross very rarely. I don't raise boysenberries so not sure what their genus is but if you look it up, that would help answer your question. If they're different genus, no worries.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 3:03PM
larry_gene

The raspberries are more likely to invade the Boysens, but that is easy to control. It is better to plant them in separate rows, or as half-row each of a single row, rather than rasp then Boysen every other plant in a row, for example.
-----------------------

All original berry plantings will produce fruit that remains true to variety, year after year. The above posting describes what would happen if seedling plants were allowed to mature, but these can be pulled as easily as weeds.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™