Bareroot strawberries not coming up

dogwood_starJune 16, 2013

How long should it take for bare root strawberries to come up? I am not having much lock with them. Planted 40 the beginning of March and only 3 came up, 2 are doing well. I not so much. I figured would not hurt to try, so I tried 30 more last Sunday. Not seeing anything yet. I got the plants at TSC. Was it too late to try again this year? I checked and double checked the depth I planted them at, they are in raised beds in well rotten manure compost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drewbym(MO6B)

I'd say the ones that haven't come up since March are toast. The others might still come up assuming they weren't dried up when you got them.

The good news is that your three plants can easily become 30 plants by the end of the year. Strawberry plants are very prolific.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 1:37PM
ltilton

When you say "coming up" this sets off an alarm. Bareroot strawberries are already supposed to be "up" in the sense that the crown shouldn't be buried. Could that be the problem, they were planted too deep?

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 1:50PM
drewbym(MO6B)

By "coming up" I meant 'leafing out." Sorry for the confusion. You should definitely seem some growth on the crown of the plant by now.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 2:14PM
dogwood_star

Drewbym, you are correct. Sorry for the misspeak. I do mean leafing out. Just use to seed talk lol. Is it safe to move the 3 that leafed out? This way I can reuse the bed. I have been pinching off the blooms when they come up.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 3:39PM
dogwood_star

Good to know they will spread.... I am getting a bit put off of strawberry plants! Would I do better ordering from somewhere like Nourse rather thank Home Depot and TCS?

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 3:41PM
ltilton

Yes

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 6:20PM
drewbym(MO6B)

There is a real bias against big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes around here. I personally haven't had problems with the plants I've bought there. Just choose wisely.

That being said, your three strawberry plants will become 30 this year if you tend to them and let the runners root.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 7:17PM
dogwood_star

Thank you for your help!

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
This is a Blackberry lovers dream
This is a Blackberry lovers dream. Ripe seven days...
2010champsbcs
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™