Fertizing blackberries

carrollcharletJune 18, 2013

Can I fertilize my blackberry bushes now that the fruit has set, and with what fertilizer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ABz5b

I personally use miracle grow on all my canes. Seems to work wonders compared to not using it. I personally would fertilize them at the beginning of spring at leaf out and one more time around full bloom/fruit set.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 1:43PM
drewbym(MO6B)

I also use miracle grow. I mix one tablespoon to a gallon, spray it on the leaves till it drips off, and pour the rest around the crown. I do this every two weeks or so from bud break till Mid-August.

It's worked well for me so far, but I'm no pro.

By the way, I always do this in the early morning or evening around sunrise/sunset. Apparently the leaves are supposed to absorb things better at those times.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 2:25PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

Plant leaves wax soft at 77 degrees and above at plant sunshine helps this temperature on wax.
Blackberries taste the best if fertilizing done when no fruit on plant if done while fruit cone druplet form on stay green to long and run flavor berries you check this out a picking time just look point where berry broke from stem green flavor not there gray good tasting fruit.
Timing fertilizer is at 5% bloom and again at 100% bloom this size up all berries and nitrogen be gone before harvest time. Fertilize just before last fruits are picked.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 7:18AM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™