Raspberry questions

donnamarienjJune 28, 2013

I received a raspberry plant that someone didnâÂÂt want any more. It was in a very small planter (think childâÂÂs sand pail). The person knew nothing about the plant. I potted it up into a container about three sizes larger, and waited. It is growing extremely quickly and has numerous flowers. At this point I see no fruit (it has only been two months). Without knowing the name or age of this plant, how will I know when to expect fruit? Can I expect fruit this season or do I have to wait several years? BTW, this is a thornless variety and I have to wonder why this person was giving the plant away. Maybe it just never produced fruit. Either way, how long should I give the plant before making a decision as to whether I want to keep it? Thanks in advance. Donna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drewbym(MO6B)

If it's a thornless plant and it has flowers on the primocanes (stalks that came up from the dirt this growing season), it's probably a Joan J raspberry.

If it's a Joan J, you'll get fruit this fall on this year's growth, and then in the spring again on the same canes. It'll repeat the process next year by sending up new primocanes that will fruit next year in the fall and then the following spring after that.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 1:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnamarienj

Thank you for the name. I have no idea what a primocane looks like and I'll have to watch it carefully to see if I can spot one. However, looking up the name on google, I read that Joan J is not the best raspberry and is best known for its shipping attributes. I'll give it until next year to see if it is worth keeping. There must be a reason the other person didn't want the plant. I had planned to put it in a barrel in 2014, but I might just hold off on that. It is sad, because it is growing extremely well and looks very pretty.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
Fungus on grapes from last season?
Near the end of last season my grape plants got a fungus...
frdnicholas
Blueberry leaves turning brown
The leaves of one of my southern highbush (Snowchaser...
julia_scheidt
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Fuyu Persimmon
I purchased a fuyu last year from fast-growing-trees.com....
elizabethk1
Sponsored Products
Spring Keepsake Box - GOLD
$75.00 | Horchow
Afina Vanderbilt Medium Triple Door Surface Mount Baroque Medicine Cabinet - 42W
Hayneedle
Matte Black 12-Inch One Light Chain Hung Pendant with Raspberry Crystal Glass
$132.00 | Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Surya Rugs Candice Olson Raspberry 2
Home Depot
Thurston Brushed Steel LED Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Modern Fan Company | Cirrus Ceiling Fan
$368.00 | YLighting
Raspberry hydrangeas magnolia wreath
Origin Crafts
Blue Measure, Clean & Steam Bowl