precociousness of standard aple trees

valgor(4b, WI)June 2, 2013

This year I bought some "standard" apples from a local garden center. To my surprised they are already blossoming. The tag from Bailey's Nursery was labeled STD. have yet to contact Bailey's. varieties are Frostbite 'MN 447', Zestar! 'Minnewshta' PP11,367, SnowSweet 'Wildung' PP19,446.
Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

Just a wild guess, but standard to me sounds like they just take apple seedlings and graft to them named variety... I have a few seedling apples...they grow big and they grow fast.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 1:21PM
alan haigh

I've only dealt with seedling rootstocks at a single site- ordered trees from Millers as they were the only ones I could find that carried this stock and would ship in Nov.

When some of the trees starting flowering on the third year i thought i'd been sold a different rootstock but after managing them for 15 years or so I've changed my mind- they are very vigorous but didn't take the ten years to fruit I'd been led to expect.

Since then the issue has been discussed here and folks have written that many varieties will fruit reasonably early on seedling rootstock.

However, I would guess your very early flowering may be due to having been kept in a pot for a time- a pot makes any rootstock dwarfing.

There are many things involved in precocity besides rootstock, including variety (Zestar is very precocious) soil and even climate.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 3:57PM
valgor(4b, WI)

So I contacted the nursery and they assured me i got standard apples from seedling rootstock. They did say the trees were at least 3, possibly 4 year olds, and that is likely why they flowered, as well as a few other ideas, ie varietal tendencies.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 5:51PM
valgor(4b, WI)

So I contacted the nursery and they assured me i got standard apples from seedling rootstock. They did say the trees were at least 3, possibly 4 year olds, and that is likely why they flowered, as well as a few other ideas, ie varietal tendencies.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Looking for Carmine Jewel Cherries?
I know a lot of people are looking for carmine jewel...
clarkinks
Haskap or Honeyberry?
I am in zone 6 in southern Illinois, so I get extreme...
flowerchild59
Shaping and pruning some BYOC trees
In January I planted two peaches and two pears, intending...
brittanyw
Avo tree grafting
I received this tree from a neighbor. Seed grown, not...
tim45z10
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
Sponsored Products
Windster 42W in. WS-58 Series Under Cabinet Range Hood - WS-5842
$519.00 | Hayneedle
Jane Seymour 20 in. Silk Tulip Holiday Bouquet - JSB139-RDGR
$275.00 | Hayneedle
Kurt Adler 4.5-foot Pre-lit Classic Green Tree
Overstock.com
Bamboo Flooring: Home Decorators Collection Flooring Character Maple 1/2 in. x
$5.29 | Home Depot
8-foot Prelit Artificial Deerwood Fir Tree with 750 Multi-Colored Lights and Met
Overstock.com
Drop Ceiling Tiles: Shanko Building Materials 525 2 ft. x 2 ft. Chrome Lay-in
$39.96 | Home Depot
Standard Quilted Sham - BLUE VISTA (STANDARD)
$44.90 | Horchow
Giunco Flushmount by Fabbian
$1,785.60 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™