Apple choices!

canadianplantJune 11, 2012

I took a look at what types of apple trees are left. I wrote some down, looked them up, and ended up between a few types. Right now, I have a Honeygold and a macintosh seedling. I dont think I have to worry about pollination as much, because my Honeygold is producing fruit, with no other apple in my yard (but there are tons of crabapples and other types in the neighborhood).

The types Ive narrowed it down too are:

Hazen

Goodland

Prarie Magic

Beacon

Parkland

Any ideas�

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
megamav(5a - NY)

Im in Zone 5, and I've never heard of those.
Where are you finding these?
Local nursery?

-Eric
----------------------------------------------------

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 5:01PM
canadianplant

Some are local, some are from other parts of the country (canada). Here are the breeders for them if that helps:

Hazen - UND http://library.ndsu.edu/tools/dspace/load/?file=/repository/bitstream/handle/10365/4353/farm_37_5_1.pdf?sequence=1

Goodland - Modern research station Morden, Manitoba

Prarie Magic - "A seedling of the cross �Goodland� x �Mantet� selected by the late Mr.
Wilfred Drysdale of Neepawa, MB. Introduced by Jeffries Nurseries Ltd." http://www.jeffriesnurseries.com/prairiemagic.pdf

Beacon - Minnesota

Parkland - Alberta

Since youre in zone 5, there would be no real reason you would need to know any of these, since they are all (except beacon), bred to grow in the Canadian Praries, or Minnesota.

For me, its just what is available here. Trust me, id much rather have a spartan or gala tree. I do however have access to "honeycrisp" (next year).

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 7:14PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Goodland and Parkland I have, I would drop these.
The top eating apple here is Norkent, then for cooking and eaing the Prarie Magic, September Ruby is good too. Best early eating is Norland but doesn't keep long, the other two you mention I don't know.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 7:26PM
canadianplant

Goodland/Parkland just not great tasting? I would personally eat them fresh, or juice but I know people who would bake with them...

They did have Norkent as well as Norland. They had a few others like red delicious sports (dont like the taste too much myself), green transparent, honeycrisp (again, next year) and Honeygold (already have). Its just a bit late in the year, and I can get a decent tree for cheap.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 7:41PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Goodland/Parkland are tart, good for cooking.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 1:27AM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™