cutting back strawberries

wizzieJune 25, 2007

When can I thin out my strawberry plants ..they say to get rid of the old ones when the runners are rooting in the ground..I have the everbearing and the June spreaders[?]...Most of the berries I have gotten are very small and now are not producing any..Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paulc_gardener

You need to renovate your patch right after harvest stops. Everbearing berries are usually small and not really worth growing in most areas. Each plant you leave should produce 5 or 6 new plants from runners. These will be your berries next year. Berries require a lot of fertilizer which you put on now and maybe again late this fall.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 6:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strawberryjohnjohn

i have a two year old strawberry patch that is 100 foot by two foot that just produced 102 gallons of strawberries. i am very scared to renovate by cutting back the all the leaves but after seeing the start of leaf spot i am going to do it. so far a 10 foot section has taken me a few hour to do with spacing new plants, cutting leaves, leveling dirt,filling mole holes and general clean up. the renovated area has been quick to put out new leaves. i'll have to let you know how it goes from here. i just hope this renovation dose not take from production next year which should be one of my top years for this patch. i have a great breed of strawberries an if you are interested in some started plants let me know.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™