Summer Apricot Pruning

Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)June 12, 2012

We have a 3 year old apricot that wants to take over.

I thought I was not supposed to prune it over the summer, but have been watching Dave Wilson Videos and see that I can prune it now, and probably should have the past couple of years.

Does anyone have a good link to a diagram of what and were it should have been pruned? I did try and follow one of the videos and the tree is really really growing now. It has set a few fruit, but it wants to be giant.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

It is actually recommended to prune apricots (and cherries) here in S. Calif. during the summer months due to the chances of developing Eutypa Dieback, a fungal infection of the stems of cherries and apricots that can occur during the rainy season, and for us, that's during the winter, during the normal time most folks prune their stone fruits - during dormancy. You can prune your other stone fruits, just better to wait on your apricots and cherries until after harvest, during our dry season. Here's a very nice link with a video that will help.

http://sacgardens.blogspot.com/2011/06/summer-pruning-and-thinning.html

Also, DWN has some very, very nice videos on how to prune stone fruits on You Tube. You can get to their You Tube channel through their web site, and you can then subscribe to their channel and get email updates when they post new videos. Also, UC Davis has great info on how to manage stone fruits, so be sure to check out the link below. All info specifically directed at our growing climate here in S. Calif.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis: Home Orchard

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™