Growing berries in Northeast Florida

maduce(9)June 2, 2013

We eat a lot of fresh berries lately since they are available nearly year-round in local markets (and Costco), but they are expensive and often not very good. I am talking primarily about raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. I was wondering if anyone has experience in growing these berries in this area (region 9, NE Florida)? We are very near the coast, between Jacksonville and St Augustine. I spent most of my life in Southern California where we could grow these (blackberries and raspberries). My recollection is that they take a lot of space but make very good barriers due to their thorns. I wouldn't consider strawberries since they are grown in a totally different way that those that come from permanent bushes. I would appreciate any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Maduce,

I am in central Florida 9A. What type of soil do you have up your way? If you are 9A Raspberries are going to be tough. I grow a lot of Mysore black raspberries and that is about all I can grow for raspberries. They are thorny but quite good.

Blackberries you can grow most all of them. I have tried a few and now just grow Kiowa which are big and taste great.

Blueberries I grow about 200 bushes and with them you have lots of choices.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Blueberries on a slope, how to grade soil?
Hey everyone, I was planting blueberries on a sloped...
towsonite
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
pls recommend
Experienced Fruit Tree Growers, I suspect that all...
thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
Blueberry leaves turning brown
The leaves of one of my southern highbush (Snowchaser...
julia_scheidt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™