Maypop for fruit production in NM?

fabaceae_nativeJune 26, 2012

I made a similar post on the SW Forum... I've read oodles of stuff on the Passiflora Forum about P.incarnata, and am certainly intrigued by it, especially for it's fruiting potential.

Unfortunately I've had no luck with the several small potted plants I've tried. Transplant failure and/or gopher problems is my suspicion. Interestingly, the related P.caerulea transplants without trouble, growing large and flowering well into the fall.

Has anyone had any luck with the former species in an arid/high elevation climate? Would I be best off trying to direct sow the seed instead of buying the tiny potted plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Well, I can't tell you about the arid climate part. Maypop is fully hardy here under deep (6" or more) winter mulch. I've been growing it since the early 1990s, albeit with a break of a couple years when I lost mine to (surprise, surprise) voles. I've never had a ripe fruit, although once or twice came sort of close, beginning to color the arils and getting decent aroma, with the shell also beginning to turn slightly yellow.

I think they just need more heat than my climate provides. I guess in NM it might work, depending upon altitude, etc.

Don't pay big $$$ for a small start. They are really easy to germinate from seed, about like starting a morning glory or a sunflower. I have bought seed in the past from Sand Mountain Herbs in Alabama and from Johnny's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maypop seeds at Sand Mountain

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 2:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

Thanks so much for the response. That's good to hear about the success of a thick mulch, and that the seeds germinate readily.

I don't know what the difference in Growing Degree Days is between here and where you are, but I'm optimistic about them being able to ripen. Even though cool nights here around 7,000 feet slow things down some summers, I'm still able to grow and ripen chiles, tomatoes, melons, watermelons, okra, cotton, without any trouble.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
plum truble
I have a gold plum tree aprox 5years old. It has always...
john zone 8
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™