Fuzzy Kiwis Running up a Pergola

charlieboringJune 19, 2013

I am about to complete a pergola over a part of my patio shown in the picture. I am in N. VA, Zone 7. I purchased two female (Saanichton) and one male that I plan on planting near three of the pergola posts and allowing them to run up decorative chains to the top of the pergola. I have them transplanted into pots now waiting for completion of the pergola, but they are almost eight feet tall and I need to plant them into their final home soon. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
murkwell

I'd plant the females on opposite corners, and with the best light and soil if there are any differences.

The male needs to do just well enough to make some flowers, you don't want it to take its full share of the space. The females will have the most room to grow and fruit this way.

I would probably have gone for 2 different varieties of female for the variation, but maybe you are going for efficiency.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 7:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melikeeatplants

You don't have to wait for pergola to go up, plant them a couple of feet away from where the posts will be going. I would put them in a raised box and have a chain run from the box to the top of the post.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™