Hardy Kiwi Propagation

charlieboringJune 19, 2014

I recently promised an individual through the plant exchange forum to trade some anna hardy kiwi cuttings from my three vines that are now producing fruit. After reading about the difficulty of propogating hardwood kiwi cuttings, I decided to try to propagate them from soft cuttings taken this year. I first tried airlayering; all five attempts failed. I am now trying ground layering. I place a brick over the soil-covered branch to hold it down, but I believe that the brick heats up the souild and has killed the branch. I have three green cuttings that I planted in a pot that still have a shot, but I am not hopeful. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

CB,

I found this article on Kiwi propagation. Hope it helps.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Kiwi Propagation

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 2:11PM
cousinfloyd

I stuck some dormant season prunings in the ground this winter not really thinking (or especially even wanting) that they would grow, but they leafed out a couple months ago and they're still alive now, so they must have rooted.

Regular (ground) layering is how I've propagated hardy kiwis when I've wanted to. If you're going to use a brick I wouldn't put it directly on top of the vine, but I'd dig a shallow trench, bury a middle section of the branch with the dirt I dug out, and then put the brick/weight on top of that to hold everything down. So far as I can remember I've had 100% success layering hardy kiwis like that, although I've mostly given the process a full growing season. It sure seems like the easiest way to propagate a few extra vines.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 4:30PM
bob_z6(6b/7a SW CT)

Last June, I had success in rooting cuttings. About half took. I used my usual potting mix (a combination of leaf compost, pine bark, and perlite) and kept them moist and out of direct sun for several weeks.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™