Tomcot apricot dead or no?

franktank232(z5 WI)June 10, 2013

2 Tomcots (both on Lovell i believe) that are maybe 4 or 5 years old...one already got the chainsaw and the other might get it today. The issue is very little bloom, almost no new leaves this spring and almost no growth. What leaves it (they) do (did) have are very small and curled...some have yellowed and fallen off. There is a Hunza (Citation) right next to it that is totally leafed out/large fruit...and another Puget Gold that is the same (loaded with fruit).

Last summer was very hot and very dry...winter had a lot of snow/not that cold... this spring has been cold/wet and cloudy...

Having said that, why are the other cots right next to it just fine...?

Any chance it pulls through or is it a goner? I have no issue cutting it down (lots of other trees), but would rather get going on it now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

Could it be planted in a bad spot? I have a young plum that I'll move if it survives the year. Bad drainage in a floody season. But if your trees are 4-5 years old, it's probably too late to move them.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 1:43PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Sounds like a goner to me. Harvestman says they die for no apparent reason for him. They are long lived in dry climates, even cold and dry, but apparently not in humid. I believe they evolved in dry Asian climates. Cold doesn't seem to be the issue as much as humid.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 1:44PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

My hunch is that it's toast, just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with this happening.

Its a big tree, so no moving. It has to be root issues.

I'm on almost pure sand here...right next to the Mississippi River (If i dig down a few feet, its more or less beach sand). Drainage has never been a problem.

Maybe a combination of extreme heat, drought, long winter, deep frost and very wet/cloudy spring :)

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
newly planted blueberries turning red
I planted 15 blueberries, 8 biloxi and 7 star. 10 of...
tugagardener
Goji Berries, where to buy seeds?
Hey, so this is my second year gardening, last year...
M3rc_Nate
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™