Apple tree mishap

sara7worthington(5)June 6, 2013

Hi i have a question. One of my non thinking kids was walking the dog out by my fruit trees. The dog somehow ripped the outer bark off one of my new apple trees. this is a three foot tall whip that was just starting to leaf out. the top foot and half of the tree was stripped. will this tree come back or is it a lost cause. I was waiting for this nova spy for a while i dont really want to lose it. it appears to have dried out where it was stripped. but it is still green under this drier layer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

My puppy uprooted and tore one of my trees to shreds not once but TWICE the year I planted it as a whip -- this was like 4 years ago. Broke it in half down to just one foot high. You can safely cut off all the damage even to just one foot high and the tree will recover without a problem. My little one-foot whip grew to about 5 feet high that first year, so it recovered fine. It is better to get rid of all damaged bark than to try to let it heal. Go ahead and cut all the damaged wood off. It will most likely be just fine like mine was. Fruit trees are pretty darn tough.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 2:21PM
sara7worthington(5)

Thank you i will do that.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 2:30PM
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

You might also want to build a chicken wire fence around your trees like I did. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tour of Backyard Apple Orchard

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 6:32PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Did it take the bark off down to the cambium or just strip off the darker outer layer. That's critical. If it stripped off down to cambium, then a cut back is in order. Just taking off the thin dark outer bark is not an issue.

Reason I ask is if it were stripped to cambium it would not be green for long. It would turn dark.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 6:43PM
sara7worthington(5)

I think it just took the outer layer off. The tree is a tan color where it was stripped. But when you do a light scratch test it is still green under it.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 10:26PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

That's probably down to the cambium. Meaning that part won't heal over.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 10:52PM
sara7worthington(5)

Alright then i will snip of the injured part. Do i need to seal it or anything after i cut it or will it heal fine.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 7:17AM
skyjs(z8 OR, USA)

It should heal fine by itself, but if you were nervous about it you could prune it when it's dry, even though apples don't usually have as many problems as stone fruit with susceptibility to disease in these situations.
John S
PDX OR

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 12:48AM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™