Tree tilting over

thaprankstaJune 15, 2012

My newly planted peach tree seems to be tilting over from the weight of the branches and leaves. The trunk also moves around quite a bit even if I just put a little pressure on it. Is it possible that I need to dig up my tree and replant it because it isn't rooted well enough? Should I stake it to make it hold firmer and be more stable?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

I probably would stake it and use some twine or rope or something to hold it tight. I used bungee cords with some of my bareroot trees (with stakes), because they had very little roots, and the tops were very heavy... They've done great and continue to put out new growth. You could also dig it up, but its a bad time to be doing that sort of thing, especially if its actively growing.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 2:59PM
skyjs(z8 OR, USA)

Depending on your soil, you can water it heavily, move some soil to one side, and lean it back without uprooting it. It's easier when it's really really wet.
John S
PDX OR

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 11:47PM
thapranksta

Thanks for the great suggestion but I've already staked it. I purchased one of the staking kits from Lowes. I was definitely against tree staking because I think trees can do better overall if they can be exposed to the elements and forced to grow a stronger root system. But I felt like I had no other choice.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 11:17AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Pranksta,

What you describe is very common here with young peach trees. As long as the tree is not tilting too much I usually just leave it alone, although I do put sand in the wallowed out hole.

That brings up another point. It helps to put sand in the wallowed out hole. Peaches routinely wallow out and by pouring sand in the hole (and mounding it up around the trunk a little) it stiffens the tree up until the trunk gets big enough to stabilize the tree.

For the first couple years I have to do this for nearly all my peach trees in the springtime and early summer.

This week I just received 9T of bulk sand for my new planting, so I'm not chasing sand bagged sand all summer long to stabilize my new trees. Many of them are wallowed out and need some attention. I plan to mound up sand around each tree, whether it needs it or not.

I would never consider digging a tree up because it was leaning.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™