Best Dwarf Pear for Southern PA?

treehugger101June 1, 2013

I thought Honeysweet or Sekel but Sekel is on semi-dwarf stock at RT. Also, they both say only "somewhat" fire blight resistant. I grow in pots and would like as easy care as possible. Does anyone have any opinions? I'm on the MD/PA border. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Harrow Sweet is a good one, super precocious which means a lot for pears. Also FB resistant. Look at the Adams County Nursery list for other good ideas, they are in S. PA.

Scott

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 8:26AM
treehugger101

Adams County is sold out of everything good and do not allow pre-sales for the next shipping season. Adams County is a great site but I never seem to hit them when they have any stock I want. I will look for Harrow Sweet elsewhere. Thanks, Scott.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 3:23AM
treehugger101

I just checked the 2 other nurseries that came up when I Googled and everyone is sold out. Any ideas? I checked morriessex and cummins.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 3:32AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

This time of year the selection is very limited. You need to decide if you want the variety you want next year, or some compromise variety this year. Looking at Raintree I would get a Blakes Pride if you wanted to order this year, its probably a better tasting pear than Harrow Sweet, just not as productive.

Scott

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™