Darn peach tree borers!

blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)June 19, 2013

Hi all! Hope all of your gardens are growing well?

Alot of my new growth on my two peach trees has been infested by peach tree borers!! The tips oon alot of my new branches have had to be cut short because of that darn little bug!

I have about 4-5 good scaffolds forming on one 3 year old tree and they got to a nice length before the bug got to some of them at the tip, while on my other tree it seems that alot of branches at the tips are getting infested every day.

Question is, once they are in the tips can I kill them with liquid seven? They are not in more than half an inch if even that. I have been cutting them out but that ruins the growth of the branches. It seems they are really heavy this year.

Is there a spray or powder that can prevent this? Something I can get from Home Depot or OSH? And once they get into the tips, can I use a spray to kill them? Or do I have to cut them out?

Thank You :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Not peach tree borer. It's either peach twig borer or Oriental fruit moth.

Here is a link that might be useful: peach twig borer

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 4:01PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Oriental fruit moth.

Here is a link that might be useful: OFM

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 4:03PM
rayrose(8)

It's peach tree twig borer and once its inside the stem, no spray will kill it. You have to cut it out. I've found that Triazicide is more effective against borers than Sevin.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 6:12PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Yeah I need to get some more triazicide! Thats what I forgot to buy today!! Damnit! Dont you ever have that feeling when your at the store and you know you need something but you cant remember what?

Anyways, yes I think it might be the OFM...I have been seeing many little greyish moths fluttering around the trees. The damage and the little worm looks the same too.

So do I have to wait until it emerges to get it? Or can I go around and cut off all the tips? I do know triazicide acts as a deterrent for a little while, whereas liquid sevin kills only on contact. I definitely need to get some more triazicide.

So should I just cut off the tips for now? Or wait until they emerge? And should I spray the triazicide on the trees and fruit to prevent them from laying anymore eggs?

Thank you all

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 8:36PM

I dont remember so many bugs when I was younger :-(

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 10:24PM
rayrose(8)

That's because we had DDT back in the old days. If you have a lot of moths flying around, I'd spray now, and again in 10-14 days. If you suspect OFM, and the damage is new, I'd try Ortho Fruit, Flower, & Vegetable Insect Killer. It's supposed to have kick back power. By that, I mean it's supposed to also kill the larva inside the fruit, and you can probably salvage the fruit. It worked for me on my plums.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 10:38PM

Oh some nights a stand guard around my plum tree. Im not letting them get the 4 good plums I have left...lol

I just mowed the lawn and found a few of the moths and also found that they were hiding in plain sight on the patio screens. I blasted them with a strong hose. They are very agile little suckers!! I figure about 15 or more all around the backyard...

A few larvae I "paper clipped". They were in the twigs and fruit. A nice little bent paper clip worked to skewer them.

This post was edited by blazeaglory on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 23:24

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
can you scrape off canker
i've read that when growing season is strong, such...
johndoug
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Shaping and pruning some BYOC trees
In January I planted two peaches and two pears, intending...
brittanyw
Confused about grape vine spraying
I'm getting overwhelmed trying to figure this out on...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Avo tree grafting
I received this tree from a neighbor. Seed grown, not...
tim45z10
Sponsored Products
Dale Tiffany Lamps 11 in. Dragonfly Antique Bronze Table Lamp 7601/521
$94.62 | Home Depot
Yosemite LED Rustic Tree Stump Waterfall Fountain
Lamps Plus
Angelique Tulips
$240.00 | Horchow
20 Gallon Cylinder Trash Receptacle - T171BLK
$329.99 | Hayneedle
Aguilares Hand-Crafted Peach Table Lamp
$51.00 | Lamps Plus
Varaluz Pendants & Hanging Fixtures Longfellow 3-Light Outdoor Black Pendant
Home Depot
Snowy Tree Christmas Joy Throw Pillow
$19.99 | zulily
Hand-woven Palm Tree Bamboo Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™