triple crown blackberry plant in 8-ish gallon container

gyarksJune 22, 2012

Hello!

Recently, I bought a fairly small seedling from a vendor at my local farmer's market. He assured me that if I was careful about pruning my triple crown, I could successfully keep it in a 5-10 gallon container on my balcony.

This means, unfortunately, that I do not have the opportunity to trellis my plant. The only real option open to me is to use a wire cage, and place it rather widely.

I know that since I have the plant in a container, it should naturally stay smaller since the root system is more constrained. I'm just hoping that I'll still get a modest fruit yield.

I would appreciate any help from anyone who's had experience with this, or has any ideas for me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

This is what I've done with western trailing types. No trellis needed, just a few stakes. Triple Crown stands up better so should work.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 6:08PM
steve_in_los_osos

For my Triple Crown (and for my boysenberries) I built rectangular frameworks (think box kites) out of 1/2" PVC electrical conduit (the grey stuff) that are about 6 ft. tall. The size of the square base of the framework is based on the diameter of the pot at its widest. The pot sits on the bottom of the framework or cage. This helps stabilize the assembly by adding weight (unless you forget to water!)

So far I am using the verticals to tie up the fruiting canes while guiding the new canes up the open center. When the fruiting canes are all done, I will cut them out and tie the new canes. That means I am maintaining 4 fruiting canes per plant (5 gallon containers).

Seems to be working OK so far. If I pot up (which I probably will) I just need to change the length of the horizontal bars (I did not glue anything).

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 6:43PM
persianmd2orchard

Wow do those taste good containerized?

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:13PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Persian:

Yes they were good this year. Especially Black Diamond and Black Pearl, both thornless with big sweet fruit. I also like the fruit on thorny Obsidian and Metolious. But would choose the thornless for certain.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 10:42PM
larry_gene

Triple crowns tend to get the white druplet problem caused by sun damage to the ripening fruits. Your container plant has the advantage of being mobile, move it to a shadier spot if you ever experience the sun damage.

Also, your plant was probably not a "seedling", but rather a "start".

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 11:46PM
gyarks

Thank you, everyone, for your help!

Fruitnut, especially you! That looks like a brilliant idea!

And yes...start.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 5:21PM
persianmd2orchard

That is really cool, I've never seen a blackberry containerized like that.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™