spraying apple and pear trees

katies_dadJune 9, 2008

I have 3 apple and 2 pear trees in my back yard. Does anyone know if it is too late in the year to spray them and if not what type of spray should I use. I have never sprayed them before but for the first time the pear trees are showing alot of young bulbs on them and I don't want to lose them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

I'd watch for fireblight on the pears. Pears seem to not require a whole lot of spraying. I haven't touch mine and it looks great.

I just spray for Cedar rust on my apples, which Immunox has worked well for. Other then that i'm bagging my apples this year so i got that part of it covered.

I also have a bad case of Rose Chafers, but that is very dependent on location (sandy soils) and i've been spraying Sevin for that, but i might switch to Imidacloprid and buy some traps.

You might want to think about thinning really soon, if you haven't done it yet.

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 4:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nick123(z4b / sunset 44)

A general purpose fruit tree spray should cover most of any problems that you encounter. Check with your local garden center for a recommendation for your area.

Personally, I spray my apples and pears with a mixture of captan (fungicide), sevin, and permethrin. And I dust them with Bordeaux (antibacterial). What bugs sevin doesn't take care of, permethrin does, and vice versa.

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™