Blueberry bush watering

C-BUSOHJune 23, 2013

I planted a blueberry bush about 2 weeks ago and it seems to be doing really good but now for at least a week the temperatures are going to be in the 90's and i was wondering how much and how often i should water it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I'd be watering every couple days until it gets rooted in. If it starts to show wilting or browning leaves water more often. Partial shade, especially afternoon, would help thru the heat of summer. Once it's established you shouldn't need to water except in dry spells.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 3:44PM
riverman1

Just try to keep it moist.....dig down in the soil a few inches and see how it feels, if it's dry give it more. If your soil drains well it's hard to overwater them.

RM

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 6:24PM
lawanddisorder(6)

I've had a few BB bushes since beginning of spring and I was watering on the same schedule I was watering my other trees and bushes and the BBs started looking very poor. I started watering about every other day and they bounced back quickly. Apparently they need a lot more water than my other plants.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 10:57PM
ABz5b

Depends whether they are in ground or in containers. In that high of heat where I'm at I'd have to water every morning. But mine are in containers too.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 3:27PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

The trick is frequency instead of quantity because overwatering can mess up your ph and drain your Nitrogen

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 2:45PM
bluesky204

i have 3 blueberry bushes so I tell you from experience that they need some shade against the scoring sun in the summer. In terms of watering schedule you can buy a 3 in 1 soil tester that tells you exactly the PH, moisture, and light level of the soil

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™