can i freeze apricots with the skins on?

supercurrymaxJune 19, 2012

We are getting quite a few apricots off our tree and I don't want to many to go to waste. I've tried peeling the apricots but the skins don't want to come off and if it is OK I'd like to just freeze them skin on. Is this a doable solution?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

Why not. I've never heard of skinning apricots for culinary purposes- but then I don't read many recipes. Their skins are quite tender.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 5:54PM
ltilton

Just be sure to pit them first.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 7:48PM
Pwnie

I would be hesitant to freeze apricots with skin - they are a soft-fleshed fruit and their texture will be ruined through freezing. If you've ever used frozen berries such as blueberries or strawberries, you know that after being reconstituted they are mushy and suitable only for jams, pies, toppings, etc.

If you have to freeze your apricots, you can leave the skin on but be sure to slice or chop them. Later on you can use them for baking, sauces, and so on. Otherwise, consider canning or making jam out of extra fruit! It is surprisingly easy and there are plenty of recipes out there. This way your fruit will last throughout the year!

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 8:44PM
Pwnie

Oh, and I should have mentioned that the REASON fruits don't hold their texture after freezing is because fruits are largely water, and when freezing, the water in their cells expands and bursts the cell walls, destroying their structure. Vegetables like carrots, potatoes, broccoli and so on freeze much better because they have more rigid cell walls and less water content!

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 8:46PM
ltilton

Apricots dry well, too.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 9:31PM
supercurrymax

I freeze a lot of fruit I buy if I don't use it all and pull out some to put in sauces and mustard I make. I'd do a similar thing with the apricots.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 5:30PM
sautesmom

You should know they will turn brown and mushy when frozen.

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 6:03PM
SoTX(8b/9a)

Freeze whole in vitamin C to avoid discoloration. Pits pop right out when thawed and make fine cobblers! Lost a tree last year, but still have apricots in the freezer hoping these younger trees will hurry up. So, yes, leave the skin on.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 6:09PM
mrsg47(7)

par-boil for three minutes (in boiling water), remove skin then freeze.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™