Raspberry replanting questions

eboone_gwJune 27, 2013

I have had an everbearing red raspberry patch for many years, unknown variety given to me by a friend. The past few years the patch has declined dramatically, with fewer, smaller friable berries, shorter canes, not responding to modest fertilizing. The foliage looks normal. I am assuming from doing a little reading that this is a virus infection and I will have to replant.
Questions: How far away from this row will I need to put the new plants to prevent re-infection?
Is it possible to prevent reinfection?
My yellow Fall Gold everbearing rasberries are about 50' from the above red raspberry patch, what can I do to protect them (they seem normal so far)?
I will be converting a lawn area to raspberry rows and want to make some raised beds with borders - will treated wood be an issue with raspberries? Suggested alternatives?
Last, what varieties would you recommend for PA?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonnan(6 & 5)

eboone, I would suggest Caroline and or Prelude. I have a fairly large patch in Mercer Cty and they are doing fine. Also have Heritage and Boyne varieties. They were all purchased from Indiana Berry; reasonable and very good quality.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 9:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

Composite (plastic and wood) decking boards can be used for raised bed perimeters. Not as stiff as wood so you might want to put a vertical post every 4 feet (in addition to corner posts) to keep it from bowing outward. Could get expensive.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™