Easiest fruit to grow organically in NJ?

dgreenhouse2014June 19, 2014

I know its a loaded question because what is easiest for one person might not be easiest for another. However, I am interested in what other folks in NJ have experienced when trying out different fruits.

I think Ive decided peach trees require more spraying and experience than pear trees. How about plums, gooseberries, blueberries, or apples?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Most trees except mulberries require spraying, you can get by without, as long as you don't mind insect damage.
Blueberries usually are disease free, but are not easy to grow if conditions cannot be met (moist and acidic soil).
The earliest fruit would probably be strawberries. Raspberries and blackberries usually are disease free too, but with the new fruit fly, all these fruit may require spraying in the near future., if not already.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 19:08

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 4:45PM
cousinfloyd

Mulberries and blueberries are the first two fruits that come to mind for me. Native persimmons are another thought. Of the fruits you mentioned, gooseberries might be comparably easy. I suspect plums would be very difficult. I'm sure apples wouldn't be nearly as easy mulberries/gooseberries/blueberries/persimmons. I wouldn't call hardy kiwis or pawpaws easy fruits to grow, but they don't really have disease or pest issues, so you could probably grow them about as easily as anyone. Figs likewise would simply present over-wintering challenges. Check out Trees of Joy in Pennsylvania if you're thinking about growing figs.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 5:34PM
alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)

Pawpaws, persimmons and mulberries for tree fruit. Blackberries and raspberries are easy too.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™