Apricot training

marknmtJune 18, 2013

I have an apricot (from a local, unnamed tree) grafted to Marianna rootstock, and it has put on about 18" growth this spring. In the last week to ten days it has started forming branches and it looks like every axial leaf will have a branch in its place. The little tree is in a pot, where I intend to keep it, and I plan to let it reach about four feet height and leave it as a central leader.

I'd appreciate guidelines on managing those branches- I particularly need to understand how long to let the ones I don't plan to keep stay on, and when/whether to head them back, as well as any other observations.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I pinch the tips out when they get too floppy. Unless you have a really big pot there usually isn't too much training to do. Did have an Early Blush once that got big long floppy branches. On that one I should have pinched the tips out sooner and headed back more in the dormant season. It you want a bushy smaller plant, tip and head more. If you want an open plant then let them grow.

I usually tip after about two ft of growth.

The size of the pot and watering frequency will control ultimate tree size, no dwarf rootstock needed.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 18:30

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marknmt

Thanks, Fruitnut. I'm aiming for a fairly open plant, and am contemplating keeping it to about 6-8 scaffold branches.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™