Still virtually no PC here.

denninmi(8a)June 8, 2013

Had to be the freeze of 2012. I haven't found any significant PC damage, and no new scars since I surveyed.

So, not going to spray for a couple more weeks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

Seeing them here...killed 2 yesterday. They hit the apples pretty good (hadn't been sprayed because of all the rain). I'm pretty sure you've been warmer then here so they must have been wiped out. Don't worry. They'll be back :)

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 7:23PM
denninmi(8a)

Oh, I know they'll be back, nature abhors a vacuum. I can't stress enough how total the 2012 freeze was, almost nothing that had set fruit or was in bloom that night had any crop - nut trees, wild black cherry, all crab apples, Bradford pear, Mt Ash. So, no fruit to lay eggs and/or larvae to live on equals dramatic population crash.

I will enjoy it while it lasts. 2012 was the year of nothing, this year the trees will be groaning under the load, the bloom was incredibly heavy and fruit set is correspondingly so.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 7:47PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Good too hear! If you need any PC...let me know. I could probably shake some out of my trees and send them to you? :)

I need to put a spray on the pluots. Those things love smooth round fruit...pluots, plums and nectarines... I'm keeping a good coating on the plums this year..not messing around anymore.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™