Plums and other fruits protection from PC and OFM

Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)June 2, 2013

I did some testing of zip lock bagging and Bouffant disposable hair net on the plums and apples to see which one can withstand severe weather and strong winds. Three days ago we had wind gusts up to 50 miles an hour and the Bouffants won the test. One third of the bagged apples snapped off the branches. All the Bouffant wrapped fruits stayed intact. The Bouffants had tiny little holes for water and air passed through and they were lighter than the sandwich zip lock bags. Next year I will go with the Bouffants on the plums.

Tony

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

Interesting way to wrap.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 4:49PM
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Itilton,

The plum fruit's stems are very weak. Doing it this way I can wrapped 2 to 3 plums in the Bouffant without touching the fruits.

Tony

This post was edited by tonytran on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 21:05

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 9:04PM
eboone_gw

Very interesting use of the hair nets. Will that fabric prevent mold / brown rot spores from passing thru ?

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 10:00AM

Eboone,

So far, the plums look good without any bite mark. I am not sure if it will prevent mold/brown rot spores. I lived in a windy open part of the golf course and our summer is not as humid as in the East coast. If someone in the East coast would try it out and report the result that would be helpful.

Tony

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:36PM
eboone_gw

Tony,
The hair nets you are using-are they the standard type used in food prep or medical applications? How expensive are they per box? I am sure that the real cost is in your labor in tying them on. And what are you using to tie them on - in the picture I can't tell if that is string or rubber bands. I have just planted several Japanese plums this year, might not have many plums to protect for a few years, but I might give that a trial on a peach tree or 2 next year. I wonder if a spray gets thru the hair net if needed for fungus/rot.
Ed

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 1:20PM

eboone,

I worked in surgery and saved the old hair nets. You can buy it online. I will attach the site in the link.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Hair nets

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™