They only eat PART of the strawberry

HotHabaneroLady(7a Central MD)June 3, 2014

I just stepped out to eat the first strawberry of the year. As so often happens, I discovered a rich, red, luscius fruit attached to the plant . . . with a big bite taken out of it.

I have a neighborhood full of squirrels, rabbits, mice, chipmunks, raccoons and all sorts of other critters along with insects, so I am well aware that whatever I get to eat will be their left overs. But every year I wonder why I find fruits on the plant with just one bite eaten. Why do they not remove it from the stem? Or at least eat the whole thing?

Angie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
berry_bob

well they was leaving you a sample of the berry ;) , dang birds are nailing me this spring , the netting goes up tomorrow

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 7:54PM
Bradybb(wa8)

I know that it is a rabbit that is nibbling only part of my strawberries. Brady

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 8:03PM
fruitmaven.WIz5(5)

Many animals only eat part of the fruit. Sometimes I think it's because they are trying to perpetuate the plant. The half they don't eat rots and nourishes the seeds, which will plant itself and feed the animals offspring. It's a theory, I have no evidence.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 8:15PM
charina(6b)

Haven't you ever opened a box of chocolates, taken one and take a bite of it, and then put the uneaten half back, hoping you could find a better chocolate? Every box of chocolate that makes it into my house at one point is mostly comprised of half eaten chocolates.

Slugs annoy me with the strawberries. It seems like they hit lots of berries a little bit, but if they would just focus on a few fruit they would be able to eat just as much and leave lots of untouched berries. But no, they mar everyone they can reach.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 12:19AM
ernie85017

Mine are like that from the rolypolys.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™