Very early apple

c5tigerJune 13, 2012

I planted several fruit trees last year and ever since have kept my eye out for other fruit trees. A lady down the road has an older apple tree that ripens the first of May. They are nice large yellow and pink apples. I was hoping to try one but she is not very friendly. I talked to another lady how knows her and said she would get me an apple but never got a chance. She did say the lady told her several years ago that the apples were not any good and not worth eating.

I have never heard of an apple ready this early in South Carolina. It may be a seedling, but does anyone know what kind of apple it may be or what it could be related to? She moved there several years ago so she would not know any of its history.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Maybe the "May Apple" (Yellow May, White Juneating, May Pippin). Very, very old apple variety from the Middle Ages. Popular in the South. The fruit is average from what I know. I believe most folks wanting a very early apple are growing "Yellow Transparent" which is nearly as early (late May to June).

Patty S.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™