Can you grow European plums successfully in central Texas?

cstairJune 18, 2012

Is there a problem growing European plums like d'Agen in central Texas (Brownwood)? Everyone seems to grow the Japanese variety. I've read European plums don't take summer heat as well as Japanese plums, but how much summer heat is too much, and what is the effect on the fruit? Are there other problems besides heat?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Charles:

Some shade cloth will probably solve the heat issues. My guess is you'll be lucky to get a couple crops before the tree dies. There are lots of better fruits for that area.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 11:56PM
bhawkins(8A Dallas)

Texas a&m says there are disease issues and they won't work here. But it'd be fun to try

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 6:29AM
cstair

fruitnut,

Thanks for the help.
Is it disease the European plum would die so quickly from?

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 5:58PM
cstair

Is it the humidity that promotes disease? Could you grow plums in the Brewster county area without the threat of disease?

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 6:02PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Charles:

Those plums just aren't well adapted to heat and humidity. It stays mostly in the 70s and 80s in Europe. So it's just a crap shoot as to how long they'd last anywhere in TX. It might be 5, 10, or 15 years. But they aren't likely to last a long time like an apple or pear often do.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 6:19PM
cstair

I understand now. I really want a fruit tree that has a better chance of living longer. Thanks again for saving me the trouble! So now I'm down to apricots and tart cherries. Do they handle the humidity of central Texas O.K.?

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 7:47PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Apricots usually live a long time in west Texas if watered regularly. Some are dying here now but those are ones without irrigation and ~5 inches rain in 22 months. An apricot here could easily see 30 years. Around Brownwood probably somewhat less but still quit a long time.

Sour cherries would likely be about like European plums. But for both rootstock could be the deciding factor.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 8:22PM
cstair

... this is very helpful. Hope we stay out here...looks like fruit has a better chance in far west Texas

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 11:42PM
More Discussions
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™