To mulch or Not to mulch my strawberries...?

half-full(z9 - San Lorenzo, California)June 26, 2012

Hello, I have a few everbearing strawberries which are still sitting in their 1 gallon containers from the nursery. I'm preparing to plant this pretty soon into a wooden bed that I put together which is about 12 inches deep. Hope the depth of this will be sufficient.

In any event, my question is this, I was interested in putting in some mulch to keep the soil off the strawberries which may also help ward off any fungal issues and keep them cleaner. I'm thinking of going with the straw. I know pine needles is also suggested but this seemed perhaps a bit too prickly.

I read that the oat, wheat or soybean straw were the best choices to use here. I also read that some straws have seeds which would not do me any good. Would like to find some seedless straw mulch online that would be ideal for my purpose.. Anybody know any good recommended product that can be purchased online?

I can't seem to find this stuff in my area... Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks again..

Richard S.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

If you can get the pine straw, use it.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 5:37PM
half-full(z9 - San Lorenzo, California)

I thought about pine straw or pine needles as there also called, as I read this can slightly increase the acidity of the soil as they decompose which may be a good thing for strawberries but thought of having something sharp and prickly may be bothersome.

The straw mulch seems more easier and softer to handle... *shrugs*

Would like to find a good seedless type of straw that I can use to mulch.. Online ordering would work well... I found this but they don't deliver, and driving to New Hampshire from California isn't really a feasible option....

Does anybody know any good recommended online sources...?

Richard S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedless Straw

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 6:46PM
capoman(5a)

Straw by definition should have few or no seeds. When it includes seeds it is then usually called hay. Straw should only have stalks and no heads, although no straw you will ever buy will be perfectly seed free.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 5:00PM

Hi Capoman and thanks for your reply. I been looking around online and having a bit of a tough time trying to find some seedless straw to use for my strawberry bed.

If anybody has any suggestions or know of any online source that carries a good oat, wheat or soybean straw please let me know....... I basically want to keep the strawberries from laying directly onto the soil....

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 5:03AM
calistoga_al

My son lives in Paradise Pines, where homeowners are required to keep the pine needles raked up as a fire hazard. My grandsons made good spending money raking and hauling them to the dump. I like them better as a mulch as they are weed free and last longer than any hay or straw. Al

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 9:22AM

Hi Al, aren't pine needles a little prickly to the touch? I have read that they slightly increase the acidity of the soil as they decompose which sounds like a good thing considering there around strawberries. But I also read that straw is also good mulch around strawberries and your not dealing with the pinch prickly pine straw, so long we can find some without any seeds....

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 4:16PM
ernie85017

Pine needles are no more prickly than straw, but VERY good for your strawberries.
I looked on the net and there is a place who will ship you a bale, but the shipping is crazy.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 7:37PM
ernie85017

Pine needles are no more prickly than straw, but VERY good for your strawberries.
I looked on the net and there is a place who will ship you a bale, but the shipping is crazy.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™