Overwintering strawberries zone 9

SweetSerenityJune 17, 2012

I've had my strawberries growning in a raised bed. Now that the berry season is over I don't know how to care for the plants until next year.

I need to move them out of the raised bed to make room for other crops so I will plant them in pots. I will plant the runners in pots until they have rooted.

My question is:

Do I keep watering the older plants or do I let them die down naturally and resume watering when the growing season starts again?

Assuming that I am supposed to let them die down, here is a follow up question:

Do I keep watering the parent plants as well as the runner plants until they have rooted or do I only water the runner plant?

I'd be greatful for any advice. I have searched the internet for information but have not been able to find any.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Most of us in the coastal area of zone 9 California will grow 'everbearing' or day neutral strawberries and enjoy the fruit all summer. For your system I would keep them growing and healthy all year until winter frost when I would cut the foliage back. I like to start the season with new clean foliage. Al

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 8:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Overwintering? WINTER......SLOWLY I TURN. The sight of the word winter freaks me out. Please don't mention it for at least anoter 2 months. We're trying to enjoy our summer up here in the NE. Only kidding :-);-)

There's plenty of information about "renovating" strawberries, depending on which types, June bearing, or everbearing, that you are growing. I have June bearing, and trim off the tops of the plants after harvest, and continue to water them which establishes the plant for next year. I nurture any runners that I will use to replace spent plants over a few years old.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™