Runner plants of everbearing strawberries?

lsohJune 18, 2010

This web site, http://www.nal.usda.gov/pgdic/Strawberry/book/bokelev.htm

apparently USDA, says that for Ozark Beauty, "Mother plant very productive, runner plants usually produce no berries."

1) I've read that some everbearers produce fruit on unrooted runners. Does this statement mean that A) unrooted runners won't fruit? Or does this statement mean that B) even rooted plants that were grown from runners won't fruit?

2) If it means that even rooted plants that were grown from runners won't fruit, is that common among other everbearing strawberries?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jellyman(6/7VA)

Isoh:

I didn't visit your USDA website, but if it says what you say it says, it is misleading.

Why would any strawberry, Ozark Beauty or any other, produce decent, full-size fruit on an unrooted runner? To do so, it would have to obtain all its water and soil nutrients through the little old runner stem. Does that make sense to you? It certainly does not to me.

When a strawberry plant sends out a runner, and you pin down the end with the little rosette of leaves to the soil, it will root and produce a plant that is identical in every respect to the mother plant. Berry production may occur in the following season, but the number and quality of the berries will be the same as the mother plant.

If you have runners, pin them down and root them. I don't know why any USDA website would say they won't fruit. Stop reading this stuff.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 11:41PM
oliveoyl3

We've grown Ozark Beauty for the last 8 years expanding the planting areas with the runners. They don't fruit as much 1st year, but do fruit if we let them. It seems that year 2-5 are the most productive for us. The flavor is great here in western WA and I have no complaints about the berries. Keeping the deer away from the plants is our challenge.

Bookmark   December 26, 2010 at 9:30PM
toddfiala

One of my strawberry patches is Ozark Beauty and I let it expand with runners. I give it minimal care, meaning I just let the first year runners fruit and they are productive. So much so, that I, although single, cannot keep up with them, even though I freeze about 20 quarts a year. I don't notice if they don't bear like the older plants, but they do bear fruit. I wonder what made the USDA post such a thing. My guess is that the strawberry plants we buy at garden centers or through the mail-order retail outlets are runners.

Todd

Bookmark   December 26, 2010 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™