Plum Tree Problems

mattytJune 12, 2013

I have included a picture and I believe this is black rot correct? I have pruned back the branches infected last year and it is back again. What can I do to rid myself of this issue.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

Yikes! That's a bad one. The term iirc is Black Knot.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:29PM
ramble

I believe all you can do is cut out the Black Knot a few inches below the thing. (Make sure you sterilize the cutter before and after with alcohol or something.) And look up a fungi spray to try to prevent it reoccurring.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:01PM
ramble

I believe all you can do is cut out the Black Knot a few inches below the thing. (Make sure you sterilize the cutter before and after with alcohol or something.) And look up a fungi spray to try to prevent it reoccurring.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:02PM
alan haigh

Keep the tree growing vigorously and cut that stuff out as soon as it appears deep into clean wood. You use a sharp knife and cut well beyond the galls themselves when you aren't removing an entire branch. When it appears again, cut again. Collect and dispose of infected wood.

I spray the wounds I make with chlorathalinal, which may help. Cornell suggests spraying entire trees with it in early spring as a partial help.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 11:02AM
beeman_gardener(5)

My plum had loads of BK last year, after butchering the tree I sprayed with Lime sulphur and Dormant oil in the fall, and again before bud break. No sign of it this year, but no plums. Should be good next year as I have lots of new clean growth.
Nasty stuff.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:46PM
don555(3a)

Interesting. We get a ton of black knot around here on other Prunus like maydays and Schubert chokecherries, but I've never seen it on my plum trees and I didn't know it could infect plums. When you prune it out, diluting regular laundry bleach with 10 parts water makes an effective sterilant for your cutters between cuts.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 2:04AM
More Discussions
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™