Any thoughts on Golden Muscat?

yutopia(6B)June 20, 2014

Hey there--

Purchased a Golden Muscat this spring to vine on my chain link fence. It is really exciting to see it grow. I am completely new to growing grapes. My dog knocked a piece of it off just as it was coming out of dormancy, and I put it in the ground, so now I have two Golden Muscats :))

I would love to hear Golden Muscat's growers talk about this vine-- what are your impressions on overall vigour, and what problems do you have with this variety? How many years have you had to wait for the vine to produce well?

I am an organic home gardener in the mid-atlantic, so we'll see how it does here with the incessant threat of mildew and fungal disease...

Elisabeth in Pittsburgh, PA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

It is generally easy to grow and is also very good tasting. It has never produced a lot for me. It is a very late-ripening grape.

Make sure to do a couple copper sprays early in the season, grapes are prone to black rot and downy mildew in the mid-atlantic and copper is the only organic treatment. Usually a dormant spray and one at about 6-12" shoots will do it. These diseases usually take a few years to show up strongly so don't get overconfident that you dodged it.

I am now growing a bunch of muscadines since they don't need any sprays at all. We'll see if my family likes them.

Scott

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™