Can these apple trees be saved?

ckell02June 3, 2012

We just moved into a house that has two apple trees. My husband and I were very excited about them, but when we finally moved in and looked a little closer they seem to have every disease in the book. In addition to the pictures in the album below, I have observed earwigs, aphids, and what I believe to be midge larvae. So my question is, at this point are these trees salvageable or should we have them removed? Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Tree Pictures

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

I don't think you have a real problem except possibly that huge lesion on the trunk. They need pruning and a regular spray program, but they're bearing fruit.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 10:37PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

It looks like your apples had some curculio damage and there is a small bit of cedar apple rust on the leaves as well as some leaf-curling aphid damage but its not that bad. As ltilton states they mainly just need pruning and spraying.

The bigger question you need to think about is if you have the time and interest in tending for fruit trees, they require several sprays per year, monitoring for problems, time to read up on how to do it, etc. And as you can see they tend to get a lot of problems, most of them quite minor but some of them not minor at all.

Scott

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 10:59PM
fruitmaven.WIz5(5)

If you even have time to prune them once per year, you'll still get some fruit that will do for applesauce. Perhaps if you get the trees a little healthier and open to light, the pests won't be as bad.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™