Honeybell Tangelo problem

shawmccJune 17, 2010

I have a two-year-old honeybell tangelo tree. For the first time, it blossomed beautifully a month ago (early May), but produced zero fruit. Can anyone tell me what happened, and how to prevent this from happening in the future?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Axel(12b/Sunset H2)

Citrus usually don't need any cross-pollinators, so that's not the issue. I don't think it's very alarming to see no fruit set on a two year old tree, it's too young and obviously wasn't ready to bear any fruit. Most of the time, the culprit isn't enough fertilizer, so you can fix it easily by adding plenty of fertilizer.

To get citrus to really grow and bear lots of fruit, use Camellia, Azalea and rhododendron fertilizer, it's much better than any fertilizer labeled as "citrus" fertilizer. I've had great success with the acid loving fertilizer on over 40 different citrus varieties.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 1:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kcdeadeye13(9b Ca)

I can attest to that. I have scene Axel's citrus and all his trees couldn't look any more healthy. Fertilize like axel says and I bet next year you will have a bumper crop.

I have had really poor looking young citrus for a couple of years, due to very high water PH . I recently started adding some sulfur when I fertilize to help lower the PH. That made all the difference in the world. Citrus (and all of my other trees) are very green and growing vigorously. Kern

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™