Eating Early Blush apricots in early June

alan haighJune 13, 2012

On my site apricots along with the majority of my other fruit was frozen out, mostly by 26 degrees after everything but latest apples had dropped their petals. Did have some great blueberries here today, though.

Most of the orchards I manage are on kinder sites and a couple of Early Blush apricots had ripe fruit today as I tended to them in two separate locations.

I was very impressed by flavor, given that we've had a pretty wet, cool spring and the size of the fruit is like west coast. The first I sampled was on a site with relatively dry soil- a kind of water repellent silt. It was considerably sweeter than the four I filched from another tree growing in a very rich clay loam.

The main thing is having stone fruit to eat during cherry season! (The cherries are good here this year also, but recent rain has them cracking.) Even on the wetter site they are much better than anything I can buy, even some at a premium price supposedly picked ripe and rushed across country. They are doing some very good work for us eastern growers at Rutgers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

My Flavor Delights are coloring up this week. Last year, they were ripe on July 13, after the Harglows, which struck out this year.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 8:42PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

My Tomcot could be picked at any moment.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 9:59PM
mrsg47(7)

Harvestman, do both of the apricot locations have more than one or two other varieties of apricot as well? Pollination must have been far better than we all thought. I know your area is at least ten days to two weeks ahead of mine. Would any of those varieties of apricot be good with my Harglow?

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™