Symptoms of graft rejection/partial incompatibility?

windfall_rob(vt4)June 13, 2014

What are the visual symptoms of graft rejection or partial incompatibility?

3 years ago I worked over a root sucker from a crab that had perished several year prior.
2 scion of wine kist, and two of grimes golden.
Year one all grafts took well and grew out.
Year two the winekist started well, but then had major wilting and collapse of foliage. New foliage regrew, but no further extension. Grimes was going along normally, perhaps a bit weak.
At the time I thought some pest or disease I was not identifying might be culpable.
The foliage of the winekist is different to begin with, tomatose (slightly fuzzy) and dark green red.....much like the crab/rootstock it's on (both also have red wood)....so I just let it ride thinking there might be a higher susceptibility to the mystery problem.
This year same thing. Decent bud emergence on both, but then the winekist tanks...wilting, deformed leaves die back....with some secondary growth that seems to be hanging on. Grimes perfectly normal, even set some fruit.

Classic rejection? I can't think of much else to fit, but have never seen it before. I am getting ready just cut out the winekist, a bit of shame as I was looking forward to a red flesh, but there is always next year to try grafting in again with fresh scion on another tree.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

It sounds like rejection to me...

Scott

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:20PM
More Discussions
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™