Pineapple Guava/Feijoa/Acca Brown Spots on Leaves

June.SkyJune 10, 2012

Hello Garden Web.

I'm a new member to this community, but I have lurked around the forums here for years now.

Does anyone know what's wrong with my pineapple guava plants? They have brown spots on their leaves that are not outlined with yellow. I've read that this plant is extremely disease/pest resistant but can't find the information I need through searches.

This affects not only old leaves, but new growth as well. For now, only a small portion of the total foliage has this.

I have attached photos.

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

I don't know your particular leaf disease, many plants get such leaf discolorations.

My feijoa plant in Portland has various minor leaf blemishes most years. Aside from marring the close-up appearance of the foliage, the bush continues to flower and fruit well.

If the damaged leaves are a small percentage of the total, just keep them plucked and not laying on the soil.

Are those weevil notches on your leaf edges? There are weevils in this yard, but never on the feijoa. Perhaps your foliage hangs very low to the ground.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 11:10PM
June.Sky

Hi Larry. These have only been in pots so far. I overwinter them outside, so at first, I thought it might be frost damage (the leaves were completely encased in ice last winter). I guess that can't be the problem because some of the new growth has it too. I'm just afraid it'll spread and overwhelm the plants. Some nearby rose bushes have a very similar thing going on with their leaves, except the marks are much more round/circular.

As for the possibility of weevils, to be honest, I'm not sure! I've inspected the plants a few times now for insects but the only thing I've found are a couple of small spiders here and there hanging in the webs they make between the branches. I don't know what has been eating them :(

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 2:53AM
larry_gene

Rose likely has the typical "black spot". There is a spray for that.

Weevils would be eating at night.

Cold damage to feijoa leaves results in a pale, dull leaf, perhaps turning evenly light brown, and falling off the plant some weeks later. Shaking the plant will of course hurry the leaf drop.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 11:05PM
blakrab

So, did you ever find out what these brown spots were and did your Pineapple Guava recover?

Here is a link that might be useful: Milk & water cures blackspot fungus?

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™