Meteor vs Montmorency

canadianplantJune 8, 2012

I seen some really nice Meteor and mont. cherries for sale. Im just wondering experiences regarding taste, care and usage of fruit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Why bother when you can grow Evans?

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 7:59PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

I had Meteor. I ripped it out because of powdery mildew (it was in a spot that had no morning sun)...only after noon did it get full sun and then it baked in full sun until sunset. It was an excellent cherry. I also had North Star and that tree just died for some reason.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 8:23PM
canadianplant

Konrad - I have 2 Evans cherry. Im just weighing my options. Im thinking of getting another cherry, apple or pear, Im just wondering about the cherries since I just noticed them.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 9:36PM
ziggro

I have a Meteor and really like it. Nice cherry, compact tree. Montmorency is a lot bigger tree. In my experience, that makes it a lot more difficult for spraying, netting, picking, etc. Also, I don't think Montmorency is quite as hardy. Along with Evans, Meteor is a great sour cherry choice for my area.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 3:49PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Yes, bigger is not always better, the Evans tree or shrub is small, better for home gardens, mainly because of the bird pressure you have in town, so much easier to protect your fruits. Also, fruit stay very well on tree, weeks after they turn red, I let them on until first frost,. then they're at their best! Have let some stay on all winter,..guess what, spring comes and you can pick them dried on the tree!

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 12:00PM
canadianplant

Ziggro - I dont spray (i havnt had to so far..... thats so far..) Big is a problem, since I do have a small yard (and 10 trees already. They should either stay dwarfed below 6 or 8 feet, or semi dwarf, which i can prune to open centers.

Konrad - First, I have to say thanks again. EVerytime ive posted on this forum youve helped me.

Good call on the birds. THe sparrow/chickedee/grackle population here is pretty crazy. Some thing like 100 different bird species (give or take). Im hoping that ill have such a variety of other foods, they wont strip one whole plant (this remains to be seen).

The reasons i chose Evans in the first place were the ones you mentioned. Ive also read that they are probably the closest "tart" cherry to sweet in regards to taste, if left to mature in the way you mentioned.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 2:41PM
mdo003

im kinda curious about how the flavors compare for meteor vs montmorency if any of you have tried both, only sour cherry ive ever had is montmorency and im thinking about putting a tree in but want something small

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™