Haralson vs. Honeycrisp apples?

nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)June 2, 2012

My wife and I like both apples equally well for fresh eating, and I need to replace a Honeycrisp that was killed by root damage from gophers. I'm wondering if there's any benefits, such as longer storage times or better baking qualities, with the Haralson over the Honeycrisp? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Personally, I wouldn't get a Haralson, had one and didn't like the apple,..it might be better for storage and the taste might get better,.. that I haven't tested, to me it was a poor tasting apple,...but then some people like a dry hamburger over a juicy stake.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 11:43AM
strobiculate

zestar has better storage honeycrisp, reportedly.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 1:26PM
fruitmaven.WIz5(5)

I don't think Zestar! has better storage, that's an early apple. Honeycrisp matures much later and should last several months in a refrigerator. Now, a Zestar! is better for baking

My grandparents have a Haralson and hate it. Mostly because it's a strongly biennial bearer (only produces apples every other year). They like it fine for baking and applesauce, they are not big fresh apple eaters. If you're deciding between the two, I'd go for Honeycrisp. If you want other options, I hear Keepsake is a good apple. It's a parent of Honeycrisp, and stores a long time.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 11:24PM
spartan-apple

Nick:

I grow both Haralson and Honeycrisp. Since I once lived in Minnesota, I am familiar with both. Honeycrisp is great to eat fresh but is the absolute worst apple for cooking I have ever tried to cook with. I would cook with
red delicious before I ever try cooking with Honeycrisp again.

Haralson was the #1 apple in Minnesota for at least 50 years until Honeycrisp was developed and is now #1 in popularity. I am not a Minnesota native but lived there for 8 years. I found Haralson to be a nice hard, tart apple. No it is not by favorite but many people from Minnesota and SW Wisconsin have a cult following for it.

For baking purposes I like NW Greening and Regent. Both are popular in Minnesota and should be readily available.
Just my preference. I also enjoy Cortland for cooking too.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™