Kumquat fertilizer recommendation

yaso(8a)June 11, 2013

This winter I got a Sweet Kumquat tree from Costco grown by Saxon Becnel and Sons nursery. The plant tag doesn't give the variety name, since it is a sweet Kumquat, I assume it to be a 'Meiw' variety after checking the Saxon website.

Kumquat may not survive the Dallas winter, so I grow it in a container. It has already flowered and I see tiny baby fruits. I started to notice few leaves turning to light yellow, not sure whether it is because of watering issue, usual suspect being the pH level or lack of fertilizer. I was told not to add fertilizer for one year as the potting mix is already mixed with slow release fertilizer. If it is a fertilizer issue, I would like to get fertilizer recommendation for this Kumquat. In Home Depot, I saw Espoma Citurs-tone, please let me know whether it can be used for Kumquat. Thanks

Attached is the picture showing couple of yellow leaves.

This post was edited by yaso on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 20:06

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

IIR, the citrus tone was a great fertilizer. I have 3 potted citrus (one meyer melon, one tango mandarin and one seedling lemon, from I think a meyer). They seem to need a bit more babying then most plants, and need a ton of micronutrients to do well, other wise youll see discolouring of the leaves, and lack of vigour. Many citrus trees ive seen in pots are a bright yellow, usually meaning lack of nutrients.

Unfortunately, citrustone is unavailable here, other wise id use it on everything for the most part....

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:55AM
yaso(8a)

Thanks canadianplant, Espoma claims the Citrus-tone to be an Organic fertilizer, so it looks good for me.

I just have only one Citrus plant and Citrus-tone comes in 4lb bag, not sure how long the potent of the fertilizer stays or I may have to check whether it can be used other fertilizers.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 11:41AM
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH

VIGERO
-------------------------------------TOTAL----------- SOLUBLE
BORON-------------L------------- 0.02%----------- 0.02
COPPER-----------O------------- 0.05%----------- 0.01%
IRON ---------------W -------------1.60%-----------0.90%
MAGNESIUM----------------------1.50%----------- 1.50%
MANGANESE------P------------- 0.05%----------- 0.01
MOLYBDENUM----H -------------0.00%-----------0.0
SULFUR----------------------------5%---------------5.0
ZINC-----------------F------------- 0.05%----------- 0.01%
n---------------------O-------------10%
P---------------------O------------- 8%
K---------------------D------------- 8%

and Miracid 30-10-10

The vigero was mixed in the soil at planting and the miracid is used for watering and foliar feeding. ,the trees are dark green and growing fast. I saw your thread before I got help with the same issue. the advice I got is click below. You may have seen it.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg062354098834.html

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
Fungus on grapes from last season?
Near the end of last season my grape plants got a fungus...
frdnicholas
Blueberries on a slope, how to grade soil?
Hey everyone, I was planting blueberries on a sloped...
towsonite
pls recommend
Experienced Fruit Tree Growers, I suspect that all...
thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Help, fuzzy scion wood
Hi all, I got apple scions from ARS last week and was...
zendog
Sponsored Products
Satsuma Lime Bluewick Harper Mason Candle
$14.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™