watermelon and cantaloupe - self fertile?

labrahamian(z9/ sz21 CA)June 4, 2013

Hello all,

We tried our hand at growing both watermelon and cantaloupe this year and have plants that are growing with vigor and look very healthy. Question - We see plenty of flowers; but none have seem to set fruit as of yet. The watermelon (variety sweet crimson) is about 8' in diameter so the vine is fairly large. The cantaloupe (Hales best and Ambrosia) are just a couple feet in diameter but are flowering. Shouldn't some of the flowers have set fruit by now? We have plenty of bees in the area feeding on nearby ceanothus and mustard. I checked my Sunset Western Garden Book and no reference is made pollination.

thanks in advance for any info,
Lawrence
Montrose, CA Z9a / SZ21

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tim45z10

You didnt mention age. My cucs are showing the same. I think patience is the key.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 8:19PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

They are self fertile but do require bees to move pollen from the male to female flowers. I find the bees don't work my plants until they are covered with blossoms. So right now I'm doing the pollen transfer with a small brush. The best time is when the blossoms first open in morning. This is about 30-60 minutes after sun hits the plants. It works best on a still, warm, humid morning. You need to cover the brush with pollen and dab it on the females. Expect 20-50% takes at best.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 10:15PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Remember that most vines like those set a ton of male flowers first and those of course can't become a fruit....the female flowers start a couple weeks after you start seeing the male flowers.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 10:25PM
larry_gene

Yes, many squash and melon plants start out with all-male blossoms; look for the little miniature fruits behind the flower buds, those are the females, then start the brushing if necessary.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™