White spots on my Lychee tree

EnjoyingthesunJune 13, 2014

Hi Everyone,

Im wondering if someone can help me..Im new to growing Lychee trees. I have had them (3 different varieties) for about 1 year and they seem to be growing fine...New leaves forming almost every 2 to 3 months and they have tripled in size. But i have noticed some of them are getting this white powdery stuff on the branches...i can wipe it off with my hands but there seems to be more and more forming...Its not all over the tree but there are a few clusters over some parts of the tree.some on the branch joints and some on the middle of some branches...

I really love my trees and i want them to continue thriving so ant help or advice would be much appreciated..

PS:I live on the Gold coast of Queensland Australia.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyh527

bird poop?

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:55PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The focus is very blurry so can't bet money on my guess, but I'd say that they are a cottony scale or a mealybug or a woolly aphid.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 9:06PM
Enjoyingthesun

Thanks for the replies....Sorry for the blurry shot . I tried to get as close as possible to the affected area but the focus would not work so well on my camera.

I looked up mealybug and it seems to be the closest to what i have on my tree..although the affected area is so small its too difficult to see if it is...but thats the closest i think.

what do you think the best method of getting rid of them without much affect to the tree is?

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Help, fuzzy scion wood
Hi all, I got apple scions from ARS last week and was...
zendog
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™