tiny apricot buds have disappeared

nelson_ny(NY, 6)June 12, 2013

This is the 3rd year in the ground for my apricot tree and it has been doing very well, lots of blossoms turning into (very) small apricot fruit. I was looking forward to a decent harvest when one day... they were all gone! My wife thinks the birds got them, while I thought they only went for ripe fruit, not tiny unripe green babies. Anybody had a similar experience? If birds, what's the solution, netting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

They dropped off, probably because they weren't pollinated or the tree wasn't up to supporting them. This is normal.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:08PM
charlieboring

Yes, ltilton is correct. Apricots often require a second variety to get good fruit set. One of my trees died and this year all of my fruit dropped off. If you can't plant another apricot tree, consider grafting another variety onto your tree.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 1:58PM
nelson_ny(NY, 6)

Well, the fruit actually set, so I don't see how pollination can be the issue; however, they disappeared at a very young stage, when they were 1/4" diameter at the most and totally green.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 2:44PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Usually the issue is frost. Anything below 28F after bloom and the fruit can be lost. 24F and usually they are all lost.They shrivel up and fall off.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 3:08PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Apricots at this stage, even in my temperate rainforest climate (at least this year), should be the size of a quarter...if you are in zone 6, they should be even larger... If they were that small, there is something going... Sometimes trees just drop fruit. My Hunza apricot dropped probably 95% of its fruit so far...it had great pollination, and the fruit were growing, but it just dropped them anyways...weather, age of the tree, who knows...

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 3:12PM
nelson_ny(NY, 6)

So I gather nobody thinks the birds (or any other form of wildlife) are the culprits?

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 3:55PM
mrsg47(7)

It took four years for my Harglow apricot to hold onto four apricots. For three seemingly long years I watched the small quarter inch baby apricots drop. The tree was just too immature to hold fruit. I did plant two new apricots of different varieties for pollination (even thought both varieties are supposed to be self-fertile). Nope, don't think its your birds. Mrs. G

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:41PM
insteng

My plum trees did the same thing. They were completely covered with pea sized plums then a week later they all fell off. My tree is still only a couple years old so I think it is too young to hold them.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 10:42AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

You know the idea of fruit dropping off young trees is not something I ever recall seeing except in the year of planting. Maybe it has something to do with weather. We get more sun here than many areas. If my second year or older trees bloom they hold the fruit as well as mature trees.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 11:55

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 11:54AM
mrsg47(7)

Fruitnut I believe you are probably right! We get more rain, fog and cloudly days. Fog is not great for to fruit trees.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 2:13PM
insteng

"You know the idea of fruit dropping off young trees is not something I ever recall seeing except in the year of planting. Maybe it has something to do with weather. "

That was probably the problem with mine. We had a lot of late freezes this year. The plums put on very early this year.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 8:11PM
insteng

"You know the idea of fruit dropping off young trees is not something I ever recall seeing except in the year of planting. Maybe it has something to do with weather. "

That was probably the problem with mine. We had a lot of late freezes this year. The plums put on very early this year.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Edwin Turlington
Methusala date palm reproduces
Judean date http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/tree-grown-2000-year-old-seed-has-reproduced-180954746/?utm_source=facebook.com&no-ist...
canadianplant
Prime-Ark Freedom Chill Hours
For anyone wondering, Prime-Ark Freedom appears to...
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Fahey Scion List
Wondering if someone had the ability to and time to...
kniles38
newly planted blueberries turning red
I planted 15 blueberries, 8 biloxi and 7 star. 10 of...
tugagardener
Sponsored Products
Poly Lumber Round Side Table
Fifthroom.com
Selene Wall Sconce by Trend Lighting
$210.00 | Lumens
Insight Vase
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Furniture of America Cordova Fabric Ottoman - IDF-3011-OT
$614.98 | Hayneedle
Tay Tay Chrome One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Amber Cloud Glas
$175.50 | Bellacor
Transparent Glass Vessel Sink By MaestroBath
maestrobath
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™