Young Blueberry Plant Dying

Syntria(8a)June 5, 2013

Hello!

So I've got myself into some hot water and I'm well out of my realm of experiance. I bought some various fruit tree's, including Meyer Lemon, Mexican Lime, Grapes and a BlueBerry Tree.

The Blueberries that were on the tree have died and the leaves are drying up and shriveling.

I'm watering 2-3 times a week and I've only had the plant for about 4 days (so watered it once).

I do live in Texas and the plants currently getting near 10 hours of direct sunlight a day.

Any ideas or suggestions for the blueberries as well as the other plants mentioned would be appreciated. They are all in containers.

This post was edited by Syntria on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 21:06

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Is it in a pot or the ground? I hope it is still in a pot as this is a horrible time to plant trees or bushes in a hot climate. If it is still in a pot it is going to need watered daily maybe even twice a day.....that sun is hot. Shading the pot helps or wrapping it in foil to deflect some sun. The brown parts look mostly like broken limbs.....did you do that or birds? Overall the plant does not look that bad.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 9:20PM
Syntria(8a)

There are a lot of birds here, they keep eating my tomatoes D: Its in a 5 gallon pot right now, and is about 3 feet tall. I could move it to be under my balcony so it's only getting 4-5 hours of morning sun but no afternoon sun. I recall none of those dead areas when I got it, but they may have broken in the move. I'm also renting, so everything I have is in a container.

I have a drip system misting everything once a day right now as well as leading drip lines directly to the plants that need it.

Just got back from Home Depot, with cinderblocks and treated wood to raise these guys off the ground.

I grow the majority of my plants from seed (the cantaloupe in that picture). This is the first year ever I've gone and bought a bunch of different nursery plants. Just worried because I have so many different things and making sure i'm doing right by them. Like, I wonder if I should buy a PH meter at this point. I'm using the same potting soil for everything (3 month feed organic mix moisture control) which to be honest I have no idea what's actually in it.

This post was edited by Syntria on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 22:37

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 10:33PM
prestons_garden(9B SZ 22 HZ 6 SoCal)

Syntria,

You are cooking your blueberry plant. Put some bricks under the pot (2). This will help the bottom from drying out too fast. I would suggest using a much bigger container, nothing smaller than 15 gal. If you don't have bricks or the time to use a bigger container, just put it on the lawn. Either way, it will do much better.

Ron

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 12:34AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

When you say blueberry tree, I assume it is a serviceberry and not a true blueberry. For one blueberries are bushes not trees. Serviceberry is usually grown in a temperate climate. Many are from Canada. I have two cultivars myself, Northline and Autumn Bliss. No PH worries it grows in a wide range of soil types. They are not blueberries. They sort of taste like them, but not really.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 12:40AM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™