Doyle's blackberrys

cinandtimJune 21, 2012

Planted, 7 Doyle's plants about 3 weeks ago. Raised row, good ph, compost and aged manure mixed in. I have been babying these plants and today when I went to check noticed something had pulled them out of ground, probably deer or rabbit. My question is in looking at plants it doesn't look like roots were even thinking of growing. Anyone else have similar experience?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olga_6b

I have Doyle's blackberry, just one plant and I think I remember it was kind of slow to start first year. Not 100% sure, it was 5-6 years ago. Want to say that it was worth waiting. This blackberry production is outstanding. I have it side by side with Triple Crown and it produces probably 4-5 times more berries, even though TC is quite productive too. Really amazing.
Olga

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 8:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barberberryfarm(8A)

We had 20 planted and as long as you live in a place where it cools down at night or if not they're planted in an area with afternoon shade, they'll do great. We live down near Montgomery AL and they started to ripen in late June when it's 90+ during the day and a humid 70+ degrees at night. We would get a couple of pickings and then they would burn up in the heat.

However, as Olga mentioned, they are slow to start, but once they do, they are quite hardy growers.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™